Friday, July 13, 2012

Insights: Blueberries and Love

Galadriel walks into the room, merrily humming to herself, and sets a ice-cream bucket of blueberries on the counter.

Galadriel

Hello. I just discovered some things about this story while I was picking blueberries. Repetitive jobs tend to do that to me--if I'm lucky. See, originally Elizabeth dies of Kadosh at the end of the first section, but now--oh, I've worked out how Micah can survive to the end of the story, and who stands up to the invaders.

(giggles in a high-on-inspiration way)

So, I'm sorry, Elizabeth, you are going to have such a moment of awesomeness. And then die.

(giggles, stops, wonders if she should be doing this)

Sorry. It's just that--

Micah walks into the room.

Micah

What is so funny, my scribe?

Galadriel

Um...nothing. Would you like some blueberries? Not as good as raspberries, but still delicious. I froze 20 cups today. All before 9 am, I'll have you know.

Micah

I suppose. But I doubt that's why you're laughing so hard

GALADRIEL

I learned something about you today. Well, you, Joel and Abigail.

Micah

And what might that be?

GALADRIEL

The strength of love. That's what this story is all about. Joel needs to learn that nonresistance in love is not weakness, while Abigail needs to understand that love can make you stand up for others when you wouldn't stand up for yourself. And you--

(pauses...)

needtolearnthatemotionsshowlovemorethanwordssometimes

MICAH

I don't understand that last sentence.

GALADRIEL

You're very good at sharing words of wisdom, but sometimes people just want you to listen. As in, not saying anything. Not even songs.

Micah

Hm?

Galadriel

Words can't solve everything.

Micah

That is why there are songs.

Galadriel

Yet is it not a saying, that what is not word is song, and what is not song is silence?

Micah

How do you know this?

GALADRIEL

Elizabeth.

Micah

That does sound like something she would say, certainly.

Galadriel stuffs another handful of blueberries into her mouth.

GALADRIEL

Want some?

Micah

No, I have other tasks to complete.

(Micah departs)

GALADRIEL

Good. I couldn't wear that daft grin in front of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment